Monday, September 05, 2005

Meo! (I am peeing!)

Coming to you Live from Lucia's Gramma's house, Bilbao, Spain, The World
Lucia is a friend of Matt's from his study abroad days here in Espana. We're visiting and staying at her grandma's house because her grandma is on holiday for a month traveling to Cordoba. Like all Spanish grandmas. Mine would be a jet setter, too, if she weren't afraid to fly.
We dined with Lucia and her father and stepmother (Juan and Timi) this evening. Lucia speaks some English; Juan and Timi, none at all.
Mostly the conversational pattern follows
1. Spanish
2. Spanish-English translation from Matt to me
3. English-English for Lucia
Repeat.

A snipet from tonight:
Lucia: She is a mess in the dick.
Me: Huh?
(many seconds pass)
Matt: A pain in the ass?
Lucia: Yes. A pain in the East.
There was much laughter that followed, and I was always the loudest. You'd think I'd be more sensitive to English Language Learners.

Another snipet from tonight:
L: We have one Spanish expression about the heat.
She says the phrase.
We hear: It is like the sweaty balls of your grandmother.
She meant: It is like your grandma's boiled eggs.
I wrote it all down when I stopped laughing and Lucia picked up the paper reading,
"Like the sweety balls of your grandmother."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People from other countries are funny because they are different from us! I just found out that I can comment on here despite not being a blogger myself. It only took me about half a year. This has opened up a whole new world of fun and games. Once I learn to read.

Dan
P.S., I'm selling some crap too. Wanna buy it after I compliment your sexy blog?