Monday, January 08, 2007

The Hairy Nose

I thought you might enjoy this story, written by my cousin, Hope (age 6)*

Once upon a time, there was a human being who had a very unusual nose. What made the nose so unusual was it was hairy. One day, Lily, the human being with the very unusual nose went outside for a walk. She walked by a tent that was very, very noisy. So she walked in. She looked everywhere to see what was going on. She looked everywhere, even under a bed. When she looked under the bed, she found what made the noise and it was a little, wise old lady with a big head. (The bigger your head is, the smarter you are, that’s how you can tell she is wise.) The wise lady asked, “What happened to your nose?” But Lily did not respond. She just said, “What happened to your head?” The wise lady said, “Don’t you know who I am? I am the wise lady who used to live in Bethlehem… So what happened to your nose?” So Lily sat down and said, “I do not like my nose.” “What’s wrong with your nose?” said the old lady. “It’s hairy!” said Lily. “Well, you must learn to like what you have because some people don’t have noses.” Then the old lady asked, “Do you like apple pie? Because I do.”

The end.

*A photo of the author

Hope


1 comment:

Dan said...

That story really hits home because I too like apple pie. How very Hemingway.