Sunday, October 16, 2005

Just A Small Town Girl

More people getting married, more people drinking heavily and more people singing loudly to Don't Stop Believin'.
My mom wants to know about the resurgence in popularity of Journey. I say their popularity was never in question in my mind.
Matt and I did a duet (not to Journey. We're talking about something else now). A song I've been preparing mentally for about a month and vocally about a week. Let me tell you about waiting a month to get one chance at one song for your friends' wedding. You start to think it is the most important thing you will ever have to do. You start to sweat during unrelated conversations when it occurs to you that you'll be singing into a microphone for people to hear. They will all forget about it as soon as it's over. But you do not know that.
You can only think about the amount of alcohol/caffeine/spice you should be refusing in order to preserve your voice for this one moment. THIS FLEETING MOMENT.
Until you see the video cameras.
Oh, God.
They are going to videotape it. Somebody might see this again.
And then your heart stops beating for thirty seconds.
The next thing you know the song is over and you will stop shaking sometime in the next hour. Until you remember the video camera.
So you find your girls and you find the DJ and you play the air guitar.
Until you see the video camera again.
Now you've been caught singing and 'dancing'. So you change your name and skip town.
(Posted by Anonymous. Totally Not Posted By Sriracha.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I mean, I feel your pain. Seriously lady, you need to be a writer.

Anonymous said...

Way to fail at linking to my website last post. I think for my wedding, which is probably going to be one of those backup marriages at age 30, 35, or 40, I'll have you and Matt do a stirring rendition of Meatloaf's "I Would Do Anything for Love." And if your rendition is not stirring, so help you God...

By the way, word verification is making me spell the oft-used word "jnscus."