In the grueling process of writing recommendations*, my creativity wanes. They feel insincere. I realize that they should include some personal reflections of my relationship to the candidate. Most of my favorite memories have no place in a formal letter. Like that time during our 28-hour bus trip to Mexico when I considered throwing myself out the window to escape her enthusiasm for celebrity gossip. Or the time on the way home when I did.***
*Much like bridal parties. "Hey Friend, I like you so much. Please pay lots of money to be part of my special day."**
**Sara, Anne, Nancee, you know I love you. I will never wear those dresses again. Er...except for yours, Nancee, and that was just because my mom wouldn't buy me a new dress to wear to Homecoming sophomore year. Anyway, I was younger then. And purple was my color.
***Poetic license.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
let's see...i will be seeing you so very soon and i cannot wait! and even though you may not be so good at the recommendations you definitely helped me get into national honors society with that farm work :)!!! love you bunches!
Ahem...you haven't even seen the dress yet?? How can you say you won't wear it again!!
I can appreciate that the dress won't be worn again. It is a bit of frivolousness. But what's the real parallel here to writing recommendations? Is it that there is little creativity in weddings? Or are brides insincere in asking friends to partake in the wedding in such a manner? Or do weddings make you want to throw yourself out the window to escape enthusiasm....?
I think I just answered my question...
;)
Are you done w/ the book yet?
No, no.
Well, sort of.
It's about asking someone you like a lot to do you a favor which is sometimes painful for them.
Post a Comment